7.50 - School Admissions

Admission Procedure


All students must register for school each year on the dates and at the place designated by the Superintendent.


Parents/guardians of students enrolling in the District for the first time must present:


  1. A certified copy of the student’s birth certificate. If a birth certificate is not presented, the Superintendent or designee shall notify in writing the person enrolling the student that within 30 days he or she must provide a certified copy of the student’s birth certificate.  A student will be enrolled without a birth certificate. When a certified copy of the birth certificate is presented, the school shall promptly make a copy for its records, place the copy in the student’s permanent record, and return the certified copy to the person enrolling the child. If a person enrolling a student fails to provide a certified copy of the student’s birth certificate, the Superintendent or designee shall immediately notify the local law enforcement agency, and shall also notify the person enrolling the student in writing that, unless he or she complies within ten  days, the case will be referred to the local law enforcement authority for investigation. If compliance is not obtained within that ten-day period, the Superintendent or designee shall immediately report to the local law enforcement authority any material received pursuant to this paragraph that appears inaccurate or suspicious in form or content.


  1. Proof of residence, as required by Board policy 7:60, Residence.


  1. Proof of disease immunization or detection and the required physical examination, as required by State law and Board policy 7:100, Health Examinations, Immunizations, and Exclusion of Students. 


The individual enrolling a student shall be given the opportunity to voluntarily state whether the student has a parent or guardian who is a member of a branch of the U. S. Armed Forces and who is either deployed to active duty or expects to be deployed to active duty during the school year.  Students who are children of active duty military personnel transferring will be allowed to enter (a) the same grade level in which they studied at the school from which they transferred, if the transfer occurs during the District’s school year, or (b) the grade level following the last grade completed.


Homeless Children


Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted, even if the child or child’s parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment.  Board policy 6:140, Education of Homeless Children, and its implementing administrative procedures, govern the enrollment of homeless children.


Foster Care Students


The Superintendent will appoint at least one employee to act as a liaison to facilitate the enrollment and transfer of records of students in the legal custody of the Ill DeparT of Children and Family Services when enrolling in or changing schools.


Student Transfers To and From Non-District Schools


A student may transfer into or out of the District according to State law and procedures developed by the Superintendent or designee.  A student seeking to transfer into the District must serve the entire term of any suspension or expulsion, imposed for any reason by any public or private school, in this or any other state, before being admitted into the School District.


Foreign Exchange Students


The District accepts foreign exchange students with a J-1 visa and who reside within the District as participants in an exchange program sponsored by organizations screened by administration for a period of time not to exceed twelve months.  Exchange students on a J-1 visa are not required to pay tuition.  There shall be a limit of two exchange students admitted in any given year at each of the attendance centers.  Exchange students must comply with District immunization requirements.  Once admitted, exchange students become subject to all District policies and regulations governing students.




Re-enrollment shall be denied to any individual 19 years of age or above who has dropped out of school and who could not earn sufficient credits during the normal school year(s) to graduate before his or her 21st birthday. However, at the Superintendent’s or designee’s discretion and depending upon program availability, the individual may be enrolled in a graduation incentives program established under 105 ILCS 5/26-16 or an alternative learning opportunity program established under 105 ILCS 5/13b.1.  Before being denied re-enrollment, the District will offer the individual due process as required in cases of expulsion under Policy 7:210, Expulsion Procedures.  A person denied re-enrollment will be offered counseling and be directed to alternative educational programs, including adult education programs that lead to graduation or receipt of a GED diploma.  This section does not apply to students eligible for special education under the Individuals With Disabilities Education Improvement Act or accommodation plans under the Rehabilitation Act, Section 504.


LEGAL REF:        McKinney-VentoHomeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. § 11431 et seq.

Illegal Immigrant and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, 8 U.S.C. § 1101.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act, 20 U.S.C. §1400

et seq

Rehabilitation Act, Section 504, 29 U.S.C. §794

105 ILCS 5/2-3.13a.5/10-20.12, 5/10-22.5a, 5/14-1.02, 5/14-1.03a, 5/26-1, 5/26-2, 5/27-8.1, 10/8.1, 45/ and 70/

325 ILCS 50/ and 55/.

410.ILCS 315/2e.

20 Ill.Admin.Code Part 1290 , Missing Person Birth Records and School Registration.

23 Ill. Admin.Code Part 375, Student Records.

CROSS REF.:         4:110, 6:30, 6:110, 6:140, 6:300, 6:310, 7:60, 7:70, 7:100, 7:340

ADOPTED:          October 4, 1999

REVISED:            February 19, 2001; August 19, 2002; October 28, 2002; September 25, 2003;        January 27, 2005; September 29, 2005; February 23, 2006; February 26, 2009; August 2010; February 24, 2011; October 25, 2012; April 30, 2015; December 22, 2016, October 25, 2018


close (X)